Thursday, February 01, 2007


Portland, Runner's Paradise:
What a nice week! I am just back from a week in Portland, OR, where an increasing number of my family live. Every time I come back, my memory haunts me with recollections of great coffee, wine and food, POWELLS Books, the lovely lovely layout of the city, and of course, my fantastic nephews and siblings. Paul and Ben, aka Luke Skywalker and Ben-Obiwan Kenobi, kept me joyfully busy and my sister Julie was just the BEST host and training partner. Visiting with my sister Kimie, brother Ken, brother in law Luc, and other brother and sister in law Stephen and Debra sure made me feel at home. I had a blast, guys, and will get back there as soon as I can!

My long run was planned out together with Julie, and took us out on the lovely Willamette River, roughly 13.38 miles, according to Google Earth, as we left a park to run down from Tacoma all the way up to the Steel Bridge and back. I have NEVER had such a pleasant run, even as I was pep talked through the last hurtful mile or so. I think I ran with a smile slapped on my face the entire time, and I was really glad to be out there running in the 45 degree temps. My sister is an incomparable friend to me and I will not forget this part of my training!

And her friends at Belle Vocci were generous to order coffee. I brought 20 lbs with me, and my luggage smelled GREAT. Thanks to all of you and also to those of you who donated to the Society.

Well, I feel I am coming back to the reality of winter training here- finished a 7.5 miler with icicles on my hair! Truly, we have gotten off easy so far, and anyway, how many more weeks of cold weather can be ahead???? Next run is a 14 miler- fighting a bit of a cough, but sure it will be gone soon!

Thanks again to all of you who have supported me training so far. Onward, ho!
-M


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Blogger JulieJr said...

Marie! Thank you so much for coming to visit! I had an awesome time with you also -- it felt good to be out walking the dog with you and riding my bike along side you while you ran. And we had great weather, didn't we? Not a drop of rain during your visit -- very rare for Portland January! Well, I feel inspired, and will be out there jogging a little here and there over the next couple weeks to see how my foot feels. Gambatte!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]