Sunday, March 16, 2008

Snowy, rainy long runs

Our Team practice once again was held during a snowy/rainy day! I was not sure I'd be running due to the ankle, but decided to prepare as if I'd run it and see how things went the first few miles.

My friend Kathleen and her aunt Nancy came to practice to dedicate our training run to Kathleen's mother, Judy, who passed away last year after a decade long battle with multiple myeloma. I am running in Judy's memory this year, and as Kathleen said, it would be fitting, as Judy loved the marathon and watched it every year from her favorite spot- Golden Temple restaurant on Beacon Street. I am going to run this marathon as best as I can and continue on with my fundraising for blood cancer research! Forward, ho!

Our run, after many weeks of hill runs, was AWAY from the hills, heading out from Wellesley through Natick and Framingham, then back. I definitely felt the ankle and decided that if it got 'worse' I would stop at any of the water stops along the way. My excellent coach Rick was at the first stop and asked me about it, telling me that I could be feeling some compensation. I kept on going, and the pain evened out, just like he had said! Rick mentioned that we would make a plan to ice it right after the run, and this thought of having a post-run plan helped me feel more comfortable with the choice I made to continue.

I was behind Tim for most of the run, and towards the end, felt that I was really slowing him down. The rain and snow made for a wet chilly run, and in the last 400 yards, my foot cramped up and I had to pull off my shoe and stretch it out. I've never had this happen before, but guess there's a first time for everything. Once again, I layered Wright socks under my smart wool socks and it helped dispel any blisters (I also coated my feet with Glide).

I was happy to see that we managed to run (not quite 18 miles according to Tim's GPS) within a 'supposed' time frame for me to be able to make a qualifying run, and managed to make negative splits as well. I am using the McMillan's pace calculator, and also this chart , punching in a fade time of 20 seconds a mile after mile 20. The time I'd have to get in my age group would be 3:50:59. It might not happen! Our main goal is to raise funds for LLS, then to try to run all the way through without having the cramping Tim's been experiencing around the 17-20 mile mark, then to try for a sub 4 marathon. Qualifying would be the icing on the cake, but I think we will focus on running assertively, following a practical plan, basing the run on the process rather than outcome and focusing on how we are running. I am putting this down here so that I can remember, too! Don't get bogged down by the outcome!!!!!

Happy training, everyone!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Just enjoy the journey and the other things will fall in place. Great job!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Marie F said...

Thanks, Ken- and good luck with your Team! Spring is just a day away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]