Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Attitude Adjustment and major goal review

Okay! It's a fresh week and we are ready to get in gear! We had a super 7 mile run yesterday that flew by, I am convinced, because I stopped being such a wet blanket.

Over the past few weeks I've had a few issues:
1)My fundraising isn't where I want it to be. My goals and work to create a website just haven't brought in the results I had hoped for. Boo hoo.
2)Asthma: Yes, a few attacks, and had to stop and use extra albuterol to make it. But now I have a new Rx, and things are working well! And it is getting warmer....
3)A chronic ankle injury that I work on during training(uncomfortable, but runnable) has progressed to(or been joined by) an upper hamstring insertion irritation in the glutes.

My short term reaction to obstacle always being disappointment and depression. But- guess what? This doesn't really solve anything. And as runners, we know that we can't control the outcome of any one run. The best I CAN do is to work on these things:
1)Okay, so the website's not generating the results you hoped for, despite what you thought were cool and great products for an awesome cause. So what? You still have the support of many people who have donated to LLS, the people who you are running for, and old fashioned direct fundraising tactics to fall back on. A generous donor asked me for my fundraising link out of the blue and donated promptly. So- do I need to feel bad about this? NO!
2)Asthma: Okay, so you have it. Try out the new meds, which seem to be working well, and see how it goes. If you have an attack, manage it! It doesn't mean you cannot run!!!!
3)Injury: If you are smart, you have plenty of time and resources to manage this. Ice the hamstring/tendon, do the p.t. and strengthening exercises, negotiate some massage time and listen to the bod. If you need to lay off, do it!

Okay? Taking a cue from the book I am reading Running Within, I will withhold judgements about what I can and can't do, both in fundraising and training, and think more about what I'd like to do and plan for it. I think one of the quotes in the book by Henry Ford was very accurate: "Whether you think you can or think you can't you're probably right". So, let's reserve judgement on can/can't, fail/win, and reposition our brains! I look forward to a warm, if rainy run tonight and will hold off on the Yasso's until the irritation in the hamstring resolves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]