Sunday, March 02, 2008

Slushy, snowy sixteen- harumpph!

This was what was outside the window on Saturday morning. I grumpily and slowly donned my gear, selfishly sending Tim out all alone to stash gatorade along the route. Once again, we worked backwards along the marathon course from Beacon Street up Commonwealth Avenue, through the Newton Hills and back.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and had probably one of the most challenging runs this season. I hate wet feet. Hate, hate, hate. And for the first few miles, I tried to fool myself that if I took care with my footing, I would get through the run without too much sogginess. Ha! Running up Beacon Street against traffic (sidewalks unshoveled!) and on a slope, torrents of water literally sloshed over the tops of my sneakers. To add to the mix, plows had cleared the car lanes, but not the bike lane, which was piled deep with slush. This made for a 'slap slap' sound as we pigeon-stepped. Lovely. I could hear Tim's shoes going 'squish squish' as we ran- mine enviably filled with orthotics which dampened the sound effects.

The good thing was that the winds were not there! The predicted gusts never came, and the temperature was definitely over freezing. And the best thing were the other runners who all were so friendly- it definitely made a difference!

Our times were pretty slow. We really did have a tough time navigating in and out of lanes of traffic, sidewalks, slush and puddles, but by the 2nd half of the run picked up to run between 8:30 and 8:40's or so. Overall, we did beat the 9 minute mile, but it was quite a challenge! I was grumpy pretty much the whole way through and I am sure I was a horrible person to have to run with.

How to choose wet weather running gear: When running in wet weather, remember to think about your clothes- picking close fitting tights will help more than baggy running pants. Same goes for your top- Tim likes his Under Armour top, layered with a Craft top on cold days or a light windbreaker on mild days- I prefer Smart Wool, followed by a Sporthill stretchy jacket. Make sure to think long and hard about chafing and use Glide or other lubricants liberally on areas that rub like feet and bra contact points. I used a double layer Wright sock underneath my running socks to cut down on friction, and it worked just fine! If rain or snow look to occur through the run, think about lidded headgear like a basball cap. The downside is that it's tricky to take off and carry if not needed, but the plus side is that you don't get snow, ice or rain slapping you in the face.

Well, off to work on revamping my attitude for the coming week. Here's to meeting a challenge and hope to spend the coming week working on my other challenge- fundraising.

4 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip abt this site.
You are a great running partner I am sure of it.
All the best. HS

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Marie F said...

Thanks! Not such a great partner on Saturday, but will get myself back on track soon! Thanks for checking out my site!-Marie

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marie,

You are so awesome! There is NO WAY you could get me to train in that nastiness you call "weather" in Boston winter. Give me a break. Here in Portland trees are all budding, and finches are singing. Crocuses are finished. And today I was too cold to walk the dog in a tiny bit of misting rain. Can you say "WIMP?" Hang in there -- wet feet in sneakers is THE WORST, and you do it over and over again, including race day last year. Love ya, sis! Julie

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Marie F said...

Thanks, Julie! I needed a chance to whine and today am sitting happily in a town that has 50 degree weather. Raining, but what the hey. I am gearing up on fixing my attitude! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]