Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Messing up

DisappointmentWell, yesterday I messed up. Reviewing my long run times, it struck me like a lightning bolt that according to McMillan's Running Calculator, a qualifying Boston time is currently in reach. I couldn't believe it! Although I reviewed the run before heading out, stressing that it was to be a recovery run with the speed saved for Tuesday, I ended up going out too fast and pulled my ankle halfway through my 7 miler. A limping gait home has me wrapped up today.

I think part of the problem was our Garmin 350- Tim had it set to give out warning beeps when pacing was fast/slow, and the window was very small! Each time it beeped, he adjusted pace, although the course was hilly. It goes without saying that we were too fast on the warmup, fast on the downs, and too slow on the ups!

Lesson?: Don't get carried away! I am irritated, as I should know better by now and still allowed my desire to catch up to my running partner to affect my training. Since I have my chiro appointment tomorrow and I am willing to take the day off, I think my chances of recovery by Saturday for the 18 miler are still pretty good. But it's not worth it to get injured at this stage of the game.

Having said that, I've been ill and been injured before, and I know that there is plenty of time to heal up before the big day AND to do well.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger JulieJr said...

Yes, Marie -- plenty of time. I hope you are feeling better by tomorrow. What is the weather forecast for the 18-miler on Saturday? Take it easy.
Hugs, Julie

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Marie F said...

Thanks, Julie! Forecast so far is snow showers. :-) Will switch to Sunday if another rest day needed. Cross the fingers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]