Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stretching and running toys

Well, at any point in the running cycle, it's a good thing to revisit our friend, stretching. Stretching is usually something that runners avoid, but it can be the best ally when properly done to help you steer clear of injury!

My favorite stretching is a two-person assisted PNF Stretching session. PNF stands for proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, and is a modification of usual static stretching. While holding specific isolated stretches, the muscle is resisted in the opposite direction for a period of time, then relaxed, with the end result of a larger range of motion and extended stretch. I used this method two years ago when training, and my chiropractor was puzzled that the further my training progressed, the looser the muscles became! There are ways to perform PNF stretching solo using resistance bands, but if you have someone there to stretch with, try a two person session!

My other favorite devices are the stick and step stretch. The stick helps break up muscle adhesions and reduces muscle stiffness and soreness. You can use this before and after running, in the shower or out. The step stretch is great for stretching out the achilles.

I don't stretch much before I run, but I do use the stick. I like to start out at a warm up pace, then pick up once I am loose. I will always stretch after a long run, sometimes after a training run, but- will try to do this more as I notice those training aches and pains.

A great thing to do after a long run are 'leg drains'. Lie on your back against a wall, and put both feet up at a 90 degree angle with your butt close to the wall. Hold your leg drains for about 5-10 minutes and continue on with your stretches. The idea is that 'draining' will get your old blood out of your legs (blood pools in the lower extremeties with distance running) and help bring in fresh blood to renew them. You can modify these by doing stretches up on the wall as well while you're at it! I like to do these every Saturday before stretching and taking a nice lie down after our runs.

Happy stretching, everyone!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]