Sunday, March 23, 2008

Challenges to the Finish




Oh my, how to write? I unfortunately had to bag my 15 miler this Saturday, due to my bruised right foot. We had a nice course planned out, heading to Wellesley College, then looping back towards the Newton Hills, saying hello to the John Kelly statue and coming back to the community center in Wellesley. Two miles in, I felt no improvement in the foot despite my coaches' help to lace around the issue. See this interesting article from Runner's World, UK, which illustrates creative ways to lace shoes for individual fit.

There was a water stop up at the 3 mile mark, and I had decided by then to head back and stop at the community center rather than pressing on to Newton. I sent Tim on the way with deep regret and a pinch of jealousy, but had excellent support from Lori, the coach, who was running, as well as one of my Team members, Greg, who was sitting out the run and working at the water stop. He is an amazingly fast runner who I think will beat a 3:30 time, maybe even qualify, and having his company made it easier to accept a car ride back rather than risk more running, even as I watched my team running by.



I ended up heading to the gym later with a dreaded appointment with the elliptical trainer. I've found that I don't like these workouts, especially the long ones, one bit- my feet fall asleep and hurt, and time goes by at an insanely molasses-like pace. For anyone replacing running with the elliptical, I've learned that you do NOT replace mile-to-mile,- you replace time with equal time, checking on your heartrate to be sure you are approximating effort, and working on maintaining a good rpm.



I continue to ice and here is the plan:


  • Cross train- all week if I have to, continuing to ice and alternate ice and heat to move in new blood to the area. Yes, I hate the bike and the elliptical equally, but I vow to make peace with them this week and see that they are my new friends! Yes, I'd rather be running, but I am not going to kick my brick building like the last time I was sidelined and end up breaking a toe.

  • Get checked by my doctor if recommended- only because I have osteopenia and want to be sure I am not running into another stress fracture. Having had a running stress fracture on my hip, I know the length of rehabilitation time, and it is NO FUN!!!!

  • Act and prepare 'as if'. I am getting ready for a 20 miler this weekend in my spirit and need to prepare my body for the same.

Yes, this is hard. I checked with my coaches and it seems that runners who become injured cannot pass their numbers on to other entrants at this stage. And I want to complete this run, not only to finish, but to reflect the great results I've been having in training this season, having worked so hard on my thyroid levels, my asthma, my concentration and my form. But, we will have to see what happens! Hopefully I will be all okay by Saturday, and if not, I will be able to accept it!

Some friends have offered to work the water stops and I am looking forward to seeing them on the course. There are only a few more practices left and less than 30 days till Boston! Hang in there, everyone!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]