Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Thank Yous and Race Day Gear

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank all my friends, family, coaches and doctors for their encouragement working through my injury and ensuing setback. Thanks to you, I kept cross training instead of throwing in the towel! A million thank-yous! :-)

Race Day Gear: If you are running on the 21st, it is TIME to collect your race day gear! Although it's tempting to buy new gear at the expo before the race, it is best to run with clothes you know you'll be comfortable in. I remember wearing an untested clip-on belt pack my first marathon and finishing with a gouge in my hip.

If you aren't wearing a fuel belt, I recommend Race Ready shorts- they are shorts that have 7 (count 'em!) pockets that hold GU or other accessories. I used them on my 20 miler for the first time and can say they work great!


I plan to wear these over tights and instead of carrying 4 GUs in my fists, to put them snugly in the pockets instead.



Gear:

  • Sunglasses and headwear: Sunglasses can be a big boon, from protecting your eyes from glare to keeping dust out of them. I wear hard contacts, so breezy spring days mean grit in the air and pain in the eyeballs. Find a pair that you can secure easily on top of your head or hat if not needed. For headwear, have fair weather gear- preferably light and wicking- hey, how about my fundraising Original Buff Headwear?, as well as bad weather gear- for especially rainy or snowy days, pick a lidded top like a baseball cap or tennis visor.

  • Layers: Check the weather forecast, but here in Boston, you should be ready for anything from freezing temps up into the 70's. If the weather is under 45 degrees, think seriously about wearing tights- going out too fast in shorts could be a good way to pull a muscle, and you don't want to do that! I wear an extra layer on top over my singlet, which I easily tie around my waist after warming up- this is personal preference. If you do this, be aware that race day photographers can only locate you by your number- lift up your shirt if you see cameras and want a pre-race photo. I also like to wear mittens, which I can take off and hold if my hands get warm during the race.

  • Throw aways/warm-up gear: Get your throw-aways ready: There are volunteers who will be collecting all warm-up gear as you head from the corrals to the start line, so don't feel bad about the waste. Buy some cheap layers to keep your body temps up the morning of the race, and don't hesitate to throw in rain ponchos or garbage bags, too. The garbage bags help to keep in your body heat, and can be easily tossed into the garbage before the start. DO NOT TOSS onto the course! You will endanger your fellow runners!!!!!

  • Sneakers and socks: You should have your race day sneakers broken in on at least a few runs by now. If you don't, think about wearing a pair that you already have that are still relatively fresh. Sneakers can last from 300-500 miles depending on the runner, and it's better to wear a pair that are broken in vs. a pair that might rub your feet the wrong way. Read this interesting article about researchers who are developing a way for our sneakers to TELL us when they are worn out. Pick your socks for their anti-blister and padding properties- something you've used through your training and are used to now.

  • Fuel and first aid: Start peeking in your gear to see that your favorite fuel and portable first aid supplies are in stock. I like to make sure I have waterproof band aids, duct tape, wipe-on anti-blister lubricant, extra safety pins, and of course, money, but there's still a few weeks to get that! It goes without saying that any inhalers or other needed medications should be filled as well so that they'll be full and ready if needed on the big day.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kimie Fukuda said...

Hi Marie, Good luck on the 8miler today! You should have this post linked from other boston marathon sites so others can benefit from your wisdom and experience! How big is your audience? Your link to the sneaker article takes you to buff bands, love kimie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]